Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE)
CI / CD (regular)
At Cognite we want to make data do more . We create software that turns industrial data into customer value. The products we develop are only possible when leading software engineers and industrial operations experts build together.
Our Database Reliability Engineering team (DBRE) writes the systems that operate the databases we use. In this role, you would develop the open-source Golang operator and associated internal deployment, monitoring, and general operations capabilities for FoundationDB.
FoundationDB is a cornerstone of our high capacity time series API - an important part of Cognite’s products. The times series team works closely with DBRE, allowing you to feel the impact of your work.
This role is available both remotely - from anywhere on earth - and in Oslo, Norway as a regular on-site role.
About our Tech Stack
We use Kubernetes pervasively as our deployment fabric. On top of that, we deploy all the applications we develop. FoundationDB is deployed to multiple different clouds, both public and private.
Our developer teams work with many different languages including Java, Kotlin, Scala, Python, and Rust. CI / CD is handled by a combination of Github, Jenkins, and Spinnaker to test and deploy code to production.
The infrastructure is managed as code with Terraform and Atlantis, and observability is delivered via Prometheus, Grafana, Lightstep, and the native logging offerings in each cloud.
About the job to be done :
- Join Cognite’s DBRE team in the FoundationDB sub-team, owning the full lifecycle of all of our FoundationDB clusters.
- on both public clouds and on-premise Kubernetes deployments.
- Write the code that deploys FoundationDB at scale : thousands of CPUs, hundreds of nodes, hundreds of TBs of structured data.
- Own the full lifecycle of this software : from new feature definition through delivery, from monitoring, chaos testing, and alerting through to SLO definition.
- Work with the open-source community to improve the open-source operator.
- Enable product teams to focus on using the databases, and not on running them but deeply engage them to make sure that together we deliver products that scale, and are still operable at 10x to 100x the footprint we have today.
You must have :
A bachelor degree in Computer Science or a similar amount of experience as a programmer.
It is beneficial if you have :
- Broad experience with DevOps practices such as CI / CD and Infrastructure as Code.
- Experience with large cloud deployments on any of AWS, GCP, or AzureLinux operations experience.
- Worked with similar distributed systems in the past.
- Familiarity and experience with our tech stack are beneficial.
What we offer you :
- An opportunity to make an impact on the industrial future and be part of disruptive and groundbreaking projects.
- In-depth exposure to Kubernetes and FoundationDB.
- Plenty of autonomy.
- Help to relocate to Norway if desired.
- Competitive salary and benefits (including pension plans, insurance, benefits, and more).
- IT equipment and tools to allow you to be productive.
- Coverage of mobile telephone subscription and broadband connection.
- Extended private health services and free yearly health checkFree snacks and drinks throughout the day, to keep you running
- Subsidized lunch at the canteen, with various food options.
- Free staffed gym.
- Social activities (book club, team sports activities - football, boxing, regular Cognite social events).
- Free Norwegian courses for levels A1 and B1.
Cognite is a global industrial SaaS company that was established with one clear vision : to rapidly empower industrial companies with contextualized, trustworthy, and accessible data to help drive the full-scale digital transformation of asset-heavy industries around the world.
Our core Industrial DataOps platform, Cognite Data Fusion™, enables industrial data and domain users to collaborate quickly and safely to develop, operationalize, and scale industrial AI solutions and applications to deliver both profitability and sustainability.
Visit us at www.cognite.com and follow us on Twitter CogniteData or LinkedIn : https : / /